Jogging is a superb way to get fit and stay healthy. What could be simpler than to tie on a pair of shoes and enjoy the great outdoors? However there are potential risks involved that you need to keep in mind to ensure your exercise does not end up in injury. The following are 10 quick steps you can take to maximize the benefit and minimize the risk involved in this simple form of exercise.
Warm up first. Stretching and warming up your muscles before heading out is critical to avoiding injury. Spend a good 5 to 10 minutes to loosen up the main muscle groups that you will be using in your run. By increasing blood flow and reducing muscle tension you will increase your range of motion and improve performance. A quick warm up will decrease your change of pulling or straining a muscle or even help prevent a sprain.
1. Always consult a physician before embarking on any exercise regime especially if your have any prior health condition or are overweight.
2. Stop smoking. In addition to harming your cardiovascular health smokers tire easily which could lead to heart palpitations.
3. Buy a good quality pair of sneakers.
4. Get yourself a good pair of sweatpants.
5. Avoid hilly terrain if at all possible because running downhill can easily cause you to fall and hurt yourself.
6. Long steady strides win the day. Watch how you land your foot, keep it solid and straight, not splaying to protect your ankle from injury.
7. Do not bounce or hunch. Keep your posture straight.
8. Run on a smooth easy path avoiding uneven or rock-strewn ground.
9. Slowly build up both the speed and length of your jog.
10. Bring along an mp3 player with music that is relaxing.