Rose quartz is a very attractive stone that is widely used by those interested in crystal healing. This article takes a look at its uses and properties in more detail.
What Is Rose Quartz?
Rose quartz is a quartz variant with a distinctive pink colour. Quartz itself (silicon dioxide) is the second most commonly occurring mineral in the earth’s crust (after feldspar), and may take on different colours if other substances are present. In this case, the presence of manganese, iron or titanium may be what gives rise to its characteristic rosy hue, which can range from very pale pastel pink to a much deeper colour. However, the mechanism responsible for the pink colour isn’t completely understood, and it may have different causes in different rose quartz formations.
Rose quartz is normally translucent, although transparent specimens are sometimes found. It is sometimes known as the ‘love stone’ in crystal lore.
As a very popular and commonly available crystal, pink quartz can be bought as clusters, points, sphere, wands, pendulums and other popular crystal forms.
Healing & Metaphysical Properties of Rose Quartz
This stone is known most of all for its calming, soothing effect, and its connection with the emotion of love.
- Can be used to draw love and affection into your life, or establish a sense of harmony in existing relationships
- Increases sensitivity and empathy towards others
- Helps to heal emotional wounds
- Good for relief of loneliness and other negative feelings
- On a physical level, it is associated with the circulatory system, as well as the heart and chest area, and may be used to relieve problems in this region
- It is also connected with the sexual organs, fertility and sexual drive, and may have a protective effective during pregnancy
- Promotes self-love and a non-judgmental attitude towards the self
- Connected with the heart chakra, and may be used for this in chakra balancing work
Overall, this type of quartz is an excellent stone to use if you are feeling in need of an emotionally soothing effect, or wish to improve your relationships (all relationships, not just romantic).
Using Rose Quartz
Rose quartz can be especially beneficial when placed on the chest area during healing sessions, or worn as a pendant which hangs over the chest during the day.
As with other crystals, regular cleansing is recommended – this can be accomplished by holding the stone under running water, and then placing it outside to recharge in natural light.